A Pound Of Chocolate

A pound of chocolate sitting in my tummyI still haven’t shaken off this cold or whatever it is. Despite the presence of combative medicine in the form of Nurofen, Syndol, and Vitamin C, I still have an unacceptable amount of blockages in my ear, nose, and throat; the coughing leads to headaches, and the headaches lead to stress because I can’t concentrate on pretty much anything. The blockages in my ears mean I’m shouting at everyone because I can’t hear myself properly, which in turn is pissing off my wife because she thinks I’m just trying to make myself heard all the time. So then I go quiet because I realise I’m off kilter, and everyone thinks I’m in a bad mood.

Talk about a catch 22?!

I can’t remember when I last posted, but I think it was pre-weekend, so that’s where I’ll start rounding up.

My entire Saturday, from 9am until about 7pm, was spent working with my father in law and my wife, helping to install our new kitchen. I had intended on working in the garden, but after cleaning out the rabbit hutch and putting them in the run for the day, I just kind of got caught up in it. The dust from the router played havoc with my nasal passages, which probably wasn’t the best idea, but it was still worth it.

In the evening we sat down as a family, watched some TV, and ordered a Chinese meal. That’s what I class as an enjoyable day off, though some may disagree.

Sunday morning, and FIL was back at the house by 8:30am to continue where we left off, but he was on his own for most of the day. We took a trip up to Perth for the afternoon, to spend some time with my pregnant sister, Fiona, her hubby, Nolon, and my youngest sister, Lindsay.

It’s the first time I’d been in their new home and it’s lovely, set in a *very* quiet village on the outskirts of Perth, near the River Tay. It’s also the first time I’ve seen my sister with a visible bump. Most alarming, and I don’t know why, but I felt kind of proud. First time I’ve had that feeling when seeing a pregnant woman.

We had a nice buffet-style dinner, consisting of parma ham, salami, green olives, pickled chilli peppers, raw carrots with guacamole, and home-made bruschetta. Then for the main course (which we had later on), we had spaghetti with home-made meatballs. I was the only one drinking, enjoying a nice Merlot with my meal, which on top of several Nurofen, probably wasn’t the best idea I’ve ever had. I’ve been making a lot of mistakes lately; well, I AM a bloke.

We got home just before 10opm and after a cuppa, I hit the hay. Despite it being the Easter weekend I still had to work today, my Easter Monday nowhere near as enjoyable as it ought to be. Someone at work commented how companies like ours are ruining the family spirit, where even through enforced holidays, families are forced to spend time together and do something to mark an occasion, and as a result they produce memories they would not otherwise have had.

I could see his point, but I countered it by saying that it shouldn’t take a national holiday to bring a family together and spend time with each other, and that it’s up to families to make these things happen, especially given the fractured nature of society as it is today.

But what do I know?

On the writing front, I was negotiating with one of my editors to edit an e-book he has written on a technical subject over the course of the weekend. It sounds like a great project and by this evening we agreed on a mutual price. I really like working with the guy. In my relatively short time as a serious freelance writer, rarely have I found an editor who is both pleasant to work with, dedicated, is honest, and always pays on time.

Three more assignments came in from TLB – more drug rehab work I have to complete within five working days. That’s going to be tough, but I’m becoming far more experienced with this subject matter now, the more I write.

I finalised and submitted my fourth DWT article for March, the second of two parts of an article on SEO article writing. I completed the final draft of the final review of the Six Nations rugby tournament for the Six Nations Rugby Spotlight website, wrote and posted tomorrows Dog Blog post, and re-drafted several short stories that have been rejected lately, and in need of a fresh eye cast over them.

It’s been a busy day, so I finished off my evening cleaning out my aquarium, and sharing my chocolate egg with Gail, right down the middle. As I write this, I am stuffed with a pound of Galaxy chocolate sitting in my tummy.

About Colin Galbraith

Thriller author, music fan, St Mirren fan, fluff chucker, rabbit tamer, outstanding fake faller. Loves cannoli.
This entry was posted in Day Job, Family, Food, Drink and Bevvy, Freelance, Scotland, Sport, Travel, Writing and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Got something to say? Do it here...

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s