Man, it was BUCKETING down when I left the house this morning. And I don’t mean drizzle, I’m talking about large, heavy, warm rain. By the time I got to the office I was thoroughly soaked through to my skin. Nothing could detract from my good mood though. Two reasons: first I like the rain, and second, as you will know from below, I’m delighted about the launch of Devon’s new book, Hex Breaker.
It was the first thing I did when I logged on: went to the Firedrakes Weyr Publishing website, pay for my copy, and download it. And what a surprise I got when I did because Devon gave me a mention in the acknowledgments. I was totally surprised and I’m well stoked – thanks Devon!
Really nice I thought of Lothian Buses to decide they want to axe or cut back 16 bus routes throughout Edinburgh – in a bid to help them break even! In a leaked report to The Evening News, they said they want it done by October, but what they kept quiet is that their directors have just all received inflation-busting pay rises.
And of course, the two main services I use are in line to be hit – one to be axed, and the other to be cut back. It’s not just me, though, this is going to affect a lot of elderly people who rely on the subsidised services to get about. Without that service, they’re scuppered.
Services to be axed: 13, 20, 60, N11, N27.
Services to be cut back: 12, 18, 24, 32, 42, N8, N16, N26, N30, N31, N44.
Could it be the rising costs of fuel are to blame, or is it fat cat directors thinking more of their own bank balances? Could it be the drop in numbers is to blame brought on by the huge amount of tram works in the city? Or are the cutbacks designed to make us feel good again with the trams eventually do come in? Can you believe these guys are on salaries (with benefits) of £895,000!
Yet another reason to make a deposit in the Bank Of Why Lothian Buses Are Shite (BOWLBAS).
Enough with the moaning (says my wife). Here’s August’s GDR Plan.
* Complete writing of new novel: Greener is the Grass (Working title) (G1,G2,G3,D1,D2)
* Complete Slick synopsis (G1,G2,D1,D2)
* Submit Slick to selected agents (G1,G2,D1,D2)
* Complete editing and reworking of Hunting Jack (G2,G5,G9)
* Submit Hunting Jack to selected markets (G1,G2,D1,D2)
* Complete editing and reworking of Stella (G2,G5,G9)
* Submit Stella to selected markets (G1,G2,D1,D2)
* Query freelance gigs 25/mth (0/25 pitched – Total=59) (G7,G9)
* Write weekly SDR articles (5,12,19,26) (G5,G7,G9)
* Write Scotland’s Treasure column for SDR Summer edition (Oct) (G5,G7,G9) – The Dickies Review
* Maybe blog on Edinburgh Book Festival Blog (http://edinburghbookfestival.wordpress.com)(G5)
* Chase work from non-advertised and networked sources (G5,G7,G9)
* Select suitable URL for Compass Freelance and form new company website (G7,G9)
* Evaluate Quicken as a suitable small accounts package (not urgent)
* Keep company accounts up to date
* Chase debtors for outstanding invoices
* No work scheduled
* Write 2 or 3 poems for PSH Contest (Sep 20 deadline) (G5,G9)
* Continue writing bus stop chapbook idea (G4,G5)
* Continue writing Rome chapbook idea (G4,G5)
* Continue writing Amsterdam chapbook (G4,G5)
* Nothing planned
* Stay on top of RR submissions (G6)
* Complete layout of RR issue 4 (G6)
* Prepare website, publicity, and launch for issue 4 (G6)
Marketing and Promotion
* Publish August newsletter (G5)
* Prepare September newsletter (G5)
* Prepare August GDR Review
* Prepare September GDR Plan
* Keep website(s) up to date (G5,G8,G9)
* Approach SL about his marketing strategy used for his book (G5,G8,G9)
* Set up Facebook Ads (G5,G8,G9)
* Set up Google Ads (G5,G8,G9)
* Take full advantage of networking possibilities at the Edinburgh Book Festival (G1,G2,G5)
Reading and Research
* Continue reading, absorbing, and applying The Well-Fed Writer by Peter Bowerman (G7,G9)
* Black & Blue by Ian Rankin – IP
* Laidlaw by William McIlvanney – IP
* Hex Breaker by Devon Ellington – released 1st August
* Plan out what final research required for Lennox novel in November
* Continue diet (18/28lbs lost as at 1/7/08) (R1)
Greener is the Grass (Writing)
PLEASE DONATE – For full details of my Abseil off the Forth Rail Bridge in October for the Royal Zoological Society of Scotland, please go here:
MTA is doing that — they promised all these improvements if they got the last fare hike, mismanaged all their money, and now are hitting us with TWO more fare hikes in the near future, while not keeping any of their promises.
They need to prove they can manage money first!