|Image: Queen’s Uni|
The office was like a morgue yesterday. So many people took the bank holiday off as a holiday, it left the rest of us feeling rather depressed and hacked off that we were still in the office. Not to worry, next week I am off for a couple of days to go through to Glasgow to see my sister. The event: Supergrass’ farewell gig at the Barrowlands.
There’s going to be somewhere new to eat in Edinburgh this August. The Festival in the Sky will give diners with a head for heights the ability to dine at this year’s Edinburgh Festival from a table suspended 100ft above the city. It’s a 22-seat dinner table hoisted into the air by a crane in West Princes Street Gardens. Each guest is fastened in for food as the table rotates slowly, providing views over the castle, Princes Street and beyond towards Fife. There’s more on it here: Dinner in the Sky
It’s a nice idea but in windy and rainy Scotland, unavoidable at any time of the year, it could be an interesting experience for some. Mind you, my wedding anniversary is in August…
The June issue of my newsletter, THE PATTER, is out: click here to read it and don’t forget to subscribe if you want to receive it regularly. It’s only once a month and you get the heads up on all new releases plus exclusive competitions.
My GDR wrap-up for May is also complete (see below), and I’ve made a decision about the Ranfurly Review. After this month’s issue, which is going to be late I regret to say, I’m going to take the magazine into hiatus.
I really need to get further involved in my own fiction and it’s holding me back having to read through the hundreds of submissions I get then prepare the thing four times a year. I honestly never thought it would get like this, but it has, and I now I understand why so many magazines go into this state.
As I move into the summer period, with my end of writing year at the Book Festival pending and with so much fiction I want to complete, I simply must do something to slim things down to the bits that really matter to me. Unfortunately, RR doesn’t quite fall into my top priority list for now.
The rain is back for the 1st of June, one would never think the summer is on our doorstep looking out the window right now. Never mind, on with May’s GDR wrap-up.
Peace and out!
* Complete GREENER IS THE GRASS – done; fully redrafted & printed off for final polish
* Begin re-writing of GATECRASH – done; expect draft complete end of June
* Write at least one new short/flash story – not done
* Re-submit any rejected/recalled short stories – not done
* Submit more fiction/poetry competitions – not done; few summer ones lined up
* Write at least one poem per week – not done; no new work for a wee while now
* Stay on top of RR submissions – done
* Start preparing for June ‘10 issue – sorting and planning; RR to go into hiatus for summer period minimum
* Get some gigs to review for NotW – 4 new gigs lined up
* Keep all websites updated and relevant – done; minor updates
* SDR May issue – done
Reading & Learning
* The Kenneth William Diaries by Russell Davies – IP
* On Writing by Stephen King – done
* The Butt by Will Self – done
* Suggs and the City by Suggs – IP
* The Grave Tattoo by Val McDermid – IP
* Work anthology – IP
* LOVE IS… poem to be published in Forward Press anthology in July.
* Gave interview for book on authors.
* Took a huge amount from King’s book, On Writing.